Friday, November 2, 2012

On All Soul's Day: a little Dia De Los Muertos

Last year my oldest daughter requested that we please observe All Soul's Day Latin style; meaning with some Dia De Los Muertos traditions.  I thought that with our Nana, now in heaven, the kids would appreciate the significance this year.  I've heard of the traditions all my life, but, honestly, never participated because I didn't understand loss. 

So, early fall I ordered a sugar skull making kit from MexicanSugarSkull.com.  We stayed up one night to mold our sugar skulls, all 30 of them:



And then over the weekend we invited some friends and cousins to join us in decorating our skulls:



They turned out pretty neat:



Now, you can't eat these and you know kids...so I decided to use last year's All Soul's Cake recipe to make skull cookies.
 

We let them decorate and eat these!!!



Everyone had a wonderful time and we did talk about the significance of the tradition and the ties to All Souls Day.  Our Dia De Los Muertos Altar has sat all week as we remember our Nana and all the other soul's who have passed.

No comments: