Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Crape Myrtle's and First Hook

Our first day is past.  The books got assigned; the planners handed out; the excitement of new beginnings and learning.  After a full mornings work, we headed down to the park with our essentials.  We spent a few hours under the shade of a gorgeous Oak Tree.  The kids always find things to keep themselves occupied, nothing out of the ordinary.  My girls on the other hand... well, they both continued with the spirit of a new school year.

My fourth grader took out her nature journal and made her first entry while under the "pretty wrinkly paper like flowers" (as she described them) of a Crape Myrtle (Lagerstromia):



My oldest has never been interested in much of handicrafts.  She enjoys baking and cooking but does not consider herself artistically creative or crafty.  She is my bookworm!  Yesterday, while I was crocheting, she decided she wanted to learn crochet this year too.  I was so excited and quickly looked in my crochet bag for a hook and ball of yarn.  Her first hook:



Nature Study, check!
Handicrafts, check!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Happy Learning!!! :)

Collette said...

A beautiful first day!
Such pretty nature journaling - AND, how exciting to try out a new skill :)
Blessings to you and your family in the new school year!

Jenny said...

Amy & Collette, I hope you both have a wonderful school year and can't wait to see it captured in your blogs : D

Erin said...

Jenny

We’re really excited to be launching the Homeschool High School Carnival!!:) (grs 7-12)
http://sevenlittleaustralians.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/homeschool-high-school-carnival.html
https://sites.google.com/site/hshscarnival/home

A gathering of 'faces' you know:)
Hope you can join us:)

Jenny said...

Thanks Erin, I saw the posts for this exciting new carnival! I can't wait to join you all in conversation : D So many wonderful hostesses!